The Monash Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood is a highly respected qualification designed for educators who are passionate about working with young children in preschool, childcare centre or kindergarten. It also provides an excellent headstart for current educators who hold a Diploma in child’s services, early childhood care and education or equivalent, looking to upgrade themselves.
Upon completion of the programme, you will be qualified as a skilled and effective early childhood education professional with in-depth knowledge of children’s creative, physical, personal, intellectual development and social capabilities. This programme will enhance your professional capacity and deepen your understanding of the complex field of education, providing a pathway for research and further learning.
Ranked 14th in QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018
Structure and Content
This Degree programme consists 16 units and 4 practicum fieldworks, the student may complete the program in approximately 2 academic years:
Year 2 Units
- Contemporary Child Development Theories and Practices
- Learning Through Play Pedagogies
- Curriculum Assessment and Documentation in Education
- Learning with Children, Their Families and Communities
- Learning about Patterns, Shapes and Numbers Through Play
- Health and Physical Wellbeing in The Young Child
- Children and Childhood Across Time: Policies and Practices
- Diversity in Child Development
- Early years Professional Experience 2A
- Early years Professional Experience 2B
Year 3 Units
- Local and Global Perspectives in Education Policy
- Children’s Literature, Storytelling and The Arts
- Professionalism, Ethics and Interdisciplinary Work in Education
- Art, Environment and Community
- Change and Transition in Children’s Education
- Children’s Literacy Development
- Investigating Our World: Science, Technology and the Environment
- Leadership and Management in Education Contexts
- Early years Professional Experience 3A
- Early years Professional Experience 3B
* Fieldwork placements are required in early childhood settings.
All students entering the programme will do so with advanced standing.
Year 3 Entry (12 months)
- A Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education – Leadership/(DECCE-L) or equivalent
Professional Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education
- Other relevant qualifications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis
Year 2 Entry (24 months)
- A graded Diploma of Children’s Services (or equivalent) awarded by an Australia registered training organization (i.e. TAFE or private provider).
- A Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education – Teaching/(DECCE-T) or equivalent – Other relevant qualifications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis English requirements: English requirement :
- Successful completion of an approved Diploma qualification or higher, where the language of instruction was English Applicants are required to meet the University’s English language requirement
Career Prospects and Opportunities
Our graduates become leaders in teaching practice, public debate, policy development and community action across the world.
Graduation and Degree
Students who successfully complete and pass the modules stipulated in the course structure will be awarded the Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood
The Degree awards will be the same as that awarded to the on-campus graduates.
*The Programme is not accredited by the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA). Graduates who wish to work in the local early childhood sector will need to submit an application to ECDA for Teacher Registration via a preschool. Approval by ECDA will be subjected to the applicant meeting the requirements for Teacher Registration.
Program taught in: