Indulge your passion for food and science
The food industry is adding value to the country’s great strength in agriculture and increasingly delivering exports into the world’s markets. You can be part of Australia’s largest manufacturing industry by studying USQ’s Bachelor of Science (Food Science) and discover the science behind the development of new food products.
You will learn about food chemistry and analysis, food processing and product development, as well as food safety. You will also develop an understanding of the effects of food components on human nutrition and health.
USQ is at the forefront of the developing market for ‘functional foods’ such as purple carrots and Queen Garnet plums. The University is a world leader in functional food research (ERA National Report, 2015).
Food and beverage processing is one of the most rapidly growing industries employing a large percentage of Australia's total workforce. As such graduates can pursue a range of careers in food product development, agricultural science, food safety and quality assurance.
Courses to be studied
- Core courses (4 units)
- plus 1 x first 8-unit major (8 units)
- plus 1 x second 8-unit major plus 4 x approved courses
- or 12 x approved courses (12 units)
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs for your first year of study (8 units) in this program are:
Study Mode/ Cost
- Commonwealth supported: AUD 9352
- Domestic full fee paying: AUD 21640
Loan to help you pay your fees
You may not have to pay your course (subject) fees upfront. HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP allow you to defer your fees until your income reaches a certain level.
You may also be eligible to receive financial support from Centrelink.
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
- Subject pre-requisites: English (4, SA), Mathematics A (4, SA) or equivalent
- Recommended prior study: Mathematics B and one of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Science21 or equivalent. If students do not have the recommended Mathematics B Level for entry then they will be required to undertake MAT1000 Mathematics Fundamentals as an elective.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
A number of other pathways are also available if you haven't been able to study previously or don't meet the requirements for entry into your program of interest.
*Further admission information
An adjusted Selection Rank is a result of combining additional ranks through special entry schemes for admission.
Special entry schemes for admissions may help you get into the program of your choice by increasing your Selection Rank, through the allocation of additional ranks in certain circumstances.
How to apply
Applying directly to USQ:
- Semester 3, 2018 - applications close Monday 5 November, with semester 3 commencing on Monday 19 November 2018.
- Semester 1, 2019 - applications close Monday 18 February, with semester 1 commencing on Monday 25 February 2019.
- Semester 2, 2019 - applications close Monday 1 July, with semester 2 commencing on Monday 15 July 2019.
If you are applying via QTAC, you will need to check the QTAC closing dates.
Credit for previous study or work experience
You may be eligible for credit if you have previously studied or have relevant work experience. This will help to reduce the number of courses that you need to study to finish your program.
About the School
Are you thinking about studying in Australia? The University of Southern Queensland (USQ) prides itself on providing the best support possible to help you reach your study and career goals. USQ studen ... Read More