Colombian student visa

There are two types of Colombian student visas:

  • The Migrant (M) student visa is intended for those studying in a degree program, such as a bachelor's degree.
  • The Visitor (V) student visa is intended for non-degree programs like studying Spanish.

If your study program in Colombia lasts less than 6 months, you may be able to use a tourist visa.

To be eligible for the Colombian student visa, you need to have enrolled in a qualified public or private educational institution in Colombia with a class intensity of at least 10 hours per week.

You can apply for a student visa at a Colombian consulate in your country of residence, or online.

Applying online will require scans of a list of documents in PDF, plus your photo. The documents include a university registration form, a document from the school stating that the class timetable is a minimum of 10 hours per week, proof of economic funds, health insurance, and more. Once you receive your electronic visa, you must go to a Colombian consulate to get it stamped in your passport.

After you have successfully received your Colombian student visa, you will have a maximum of 15 days to register your visa with Migración Colombia to get a Cedula de Extranjeria (Colombian ID for foreigners). If you received your visa at a consulate, you will have 15 calendar days after you arrive in Colombia to do this. The registration must be done in person.

The length of your student visa depends on the length of your planned enrollment and can be up to three years.